This treatment uses an active range of motion while treating the soft tissues. This therapy is useful for breaking up scar tissues and adhesions that occur between muscles and nerves to improve muscle function and tissue texture. A Mississauga chiropractor often use soft tissue release therapy to treat a variety of conditions including postural strains, repetitive strains, nerve entrapment syndromes, muscle tension and dysfunction.
Soft tissue therapy (STT)
Soft tissue therapy (STT) is the assessment, treatment and management of soft tissue injury, pain and dysfunction primarily of the neuromusculoskeletal system. is the assessment, treatment and management of soft tissue injury, pain and dysfunction primarily of the neuromusculoskeletal system. Typically, Mississauga chiropractors who provide soft tissue therapy have a background in anatomy, physiology, pathology, path physiology, biomechanics, functional anatomy, as well as tactile/palpatory and functional movement assessments.
Manual STT include:
- Trigger Point techniques provide relief from Myofascial Trigger Points.
- Myofascial Therapy, that targets the muscle and fascial systems, promotes flexibility and mobility of the body’s connective tissues. Likewise, it mobilizes fibrous adhesions and reduces the severity and sensitivity of scarring caused by injury or surgery.
- Massage techniques, traditionally known as Swedish Massage, may be used as part of a treatment application. Referred to, in Soft Tissue Therapy, as broad-handed techniques, this mode of treatment aims to reduce swelling and / or inflammation.
- Cross friction create heat, which in turn mobilizes the adhesions between fascial layers, muscles, compartments and other soft tissues. Frictions are also thought to create an inflammatory response that instigates a focus to an injured area, thereby, promoting healing, especially in tendon pathologies.
- Sustained Pressure (ischaemic / digital pressure) alleviates hypertonic (tight) areas within muscle and fascia. Other Techniques such as Active Release Therapy, Myofascial Release, soft tissue release therapy and / or Deep tissue massage are all combinations of the techniques listed above.
- Other Techniques such as Active Release Therapy, Myofascial Release and / or Deep tissue massage are all combinations of the techniques listed above.
Generally, a Mississauga chiropractor may use any one of these techniques alone, or in combination, to provide the solution to an ache, pain, or an injury.